Thursday, June 24, 2010

Female journalist struck by Algerian player after World Cup loss

As you may have noticed from my string of recent posts about the World Cup, soccer has been on my mind lately.

Yesterday morning I watched the USA's rather dramatic 1-0 defeat of Algeria, a win that came in stoppage time and was a necessary outcome if the USA was to advance to the next round of play.

Today I read that after the game,
Algerian player Rafik Saifi slapped a female Algerian journalist, Asma Halimi, without provocation. Halimi struck him back.

I understand that losing a World Cup game must be an emotional experience, but that is no excuse for striking a woman, or anyone else. Sadly,
violence against women on soccer game days is not unheard of.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The final link of your post, unfortunately, sounds far too much like the "Domestic Violence Increases During the Superbowl" hoax of late 1980s/early 1990s. It should also be pointed out that the UK office issuing the statistics has been under fire for the last few years regarding its data collection, collation, and presentation of said data.

The other thing that the article you linked to that sent up a red flag for me was the fact that it cited a statistic, and failed to provide a link to the source of the statistic (that cited stat comes from the UK's Home Office, btw). It sounds more like the article writer read the ACPO press release and ran from there. That kind of parrot journalism serves no one in the end, especially if one does not understand the players in the numbers game.

Saifi should be sanctioned appropriately. And that's what it comes down to in the end.

Amelia said...

heavyarmor, I am clearly not as careful a reader as you are. Thanks for your critical view of the link I provided.

I have read other studies (mostly in books/print sources) that have stated similar findings, but I could not locate them when I went to post this. Now I wonder if I should make an effort to go back and read those accounts again and see if they hold up.