Thursday, January 1, 2009

My Feminist New Year's Resolution

I don't usually make resolutions, but this year I decided on one.

The inspiration for it came from a tattoo I found on Flickr that said "delete the adjectives." It was inspired by a quote in Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird that said, "Atticus told me to delete the adjectives and I'd have the facts."

So my resolution this year is to try to delete the adjectives, especially when it comes to negative ones about my body. I will try to stop thinking of myself as a "fat" girl with "puffy" eyes and "huge" thighs.

I hope that by deleting these negative modifiers I will be able to focus more on things I hope to accomplish and do so with a better outlook on myself and my life.

3 comments:

lindsay said...

For the past two years I've set goals of reading 50 whole books in the calendar year (didn't make it the first year, made it this year), so I'm repeating that again but making an effort to read more books by women, people of color and non-straight authors. Some of those will be harder to determine, but I figure it's worth a shot.

Anonymous said...

Amelia -- That's awesome. I like the idea and I'll definitely pass it on.

Lindsay -- I can't even imagine reading 12 books in a year. Very impressive.

Anonymous said...

that's an awesome quote. i will have to reread that book again now..