Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Get it outta me!: my feminist dreams

Last night I had a dream that my brother was trying to get me to stop doing something... I don't remember it completely, but we physically fought and I was mad that he was trying to tell me what to do. I was so angry in my dream and I even woke up angry. I had to tell myself that it wasn't something that he actually did, just a byproduct of my subconscious and that I had no reason to be so mad at him.

I think some part of me is afraid that at some point, someone (some man), a person I trust and whose opinion matters to me, will try to tell me that I can't do something or that I shouldn't try for my goals. I don't think my brother is the type of person to tell me what to do with my life, but he just happened to stand in for that role in my dream.

I've had other feminist-related dreams before... most specifically last year I was reading Cunt and fell asleep for a nap. I dreamed that the patriarchy was inside me, as in physically inside my body cavity, so I started tearing at my body trying to get it out while yelling, "GET IT OUTTA ME!"

My dreams are always a little weird... but I'm always glad to see when they have a feminist twist.

No comments: