Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Vagina Tally

Kate and I are pretty lucky to be feminist radio show hosts right now. With such a historic election coming up in November, we have so many things to talk about like health care, the economy, Iraq...and vaginas.

Today, during our first show of the year, I discussed how annoying it is that people (the media, my family, etc.) assume that because Sarah Palin is John McCain's running mate, that I will vote Republican in November. I mean, I'm a feminist, and I should support a woman candidate, right? We have so much in common...like vaginas.

I am sick of people reducing women to their genitals (and other people to their skin color) in this election. I do not vote with my vagina. My brain is not located in my vagina. Just because a VP nominee has a vagina, like I do, does not mean that I will automatically vote for that person.

Being a feminist isn't about agreeing with everyone on the planet who has a vagina. In fact, certain people with vaginas would be bad for this country if elected VP (in my opinion). So from today on, on the Female Impersonators Radio Hour, Kate and I will be discussing reasons why Sarah Palin would be a poor choice for VP, and how even though she has a vagina, we as feminists cannot support her as a politician.

We will also be keeping track of how many times we use the word "vagina" when discussing this upcoming election and Sarah Palin's role in it.

Vagina Tally for Female Impersonators Radio Hour: 2
Vagina Tally for this Post: 12

11 comments:

habladora said...

Hey, I'd love to hear your show... any plans to upload sound files here?

Ben Varkentine said...

Problem is, at least one survey suggests that an increasing percentage of former Clinton supporters are now supporting McCain.

http://varkentine.blogspot.com/2008/09/god-forbid-if-mccain-should-winand-if.html

Is it because Palin has a vagina? I dunno, but it's not good no matter what the reason.

Amelia said...

@Habladora: If we could figure out how to obtain sound files and put them up here, we would...as of this moment, it is beyond our capabilities, although I think I'll look into it. My mom would enjoy that.

@Ben: I know. I was talking to a woman at the RNC who was a former Hillary supporter who now plans on voting for McCain...ironically enough because (she claimed) the Democratic Party did not treat Hillary well because she was a woman.

I wonder how much that sentiment is shared by other women?

Anonymous said...

Your family? No, but he thought you would vote for Sarah because of that NRA thing, remember? LOL

I would love to be able to listen to your show hope you can figure out the sound file thing.

lindsay said...

I might have to keep track every day...

JPR said...

as a geek i have to chime in here.

politics aside.

if you want to load your show here you record it from the online stream using Audacity running on a Windows machine, export to mp3, and save it on a file-sharing site. Ripway.com has been nice to me in the past but you have to be careful with bandwidth limits. Shop around.

Then post the link, and voiler.

Amelia said...

If only it were as easy as you make it sound, JPR! You should help us sometime. :)

Kate said...

I heard there was someone in SMC who can teach us how to made podcasts. We should investigate, Amelia...

lisa said...

100% agree. Also, what makes me furious is progressive men bemoaning that now we are going to lose the election because women are going to be duped into voting for McCain. Uhm... 1) We're not that dumb. 2) Not cool to act like women somehow aren't rational political actors... didn't we hash this all out like 88 years ago?

Ben Varkentine said...

Lisa: Not sure if that was directed at me, but believe me, I would love to agree with you.

But being a progressive--I think of either sex--in recent years is to be contsantly shocked by just how "dumb" the American people--again, of either sex--can be.

Anonymous said...

I would also love to hear your show and you are absolutely right the idea of vagina solidarity is not feminist. There is no point electing a woman that will work to pass an anti-woman agenda. She uses her religion as a cover for her true positions. You will burn in hell if you don't submit ideology fools a few but thinking people know better.