Friday, July 25, 2008

Art and text

This has been sitting in my email for awhile so in a fung-shui cleaning frenzy, I thought I'd pass it on so I can finally delete the email.

There's an artist, Lalla Essaydi, doing amazing work tying together gender, Islam and aesthetics in beautiful ways.

Converging Territories (2003-2004)

Arab-Esque (2006)

The first one is more indicative of her general style, but I'm really intrigued by the bottom picture. It's by far her most risque, but I like it anyway. Here's some more of her work from artnet.

2 comments:

Amelia said...

Wow. Looks like she does the kind of art that I see in my dreams, but can never actually create. Amazing.

habladora said...

Thanks for introducing us to Lalla Essaydi... I'll have to go read a little more about her and her art.