Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Reaction to Charlotte Allen Op-Ed: Live Q&A!

I had to miss the "live" part because I was in my calculus class being dim.

But here's a link that shows some questions submitted by readers, and Charlotte Allen's responses to them. In case you're new to the story, read this to see why she made readers of The Washington Post so mad.

"Washington: You write that you doubt women's representation in such fields as law (the Supreme Court) and medicine (brain surgeons) will rise much in the 21st century. However more women than men currently are graduating from law school and medical school. Could you please comment on this apparent contradiction?

Charlotte Allen: That's absolutely true, but the proportion of women at the highest levels of these fields is going to remain relatively small, I predict."

Hmm, Charlotte. You could be right, there. But honestly...I wonder why that might be (and I'm kind of guessing that it's not because women are stupid).

And just so you know, the moderators at washingtonpost had complete editorial power to decide which questions got asked in the first place.

1 comment:

JPR said...

"That's absolutely true, but the proportion of women at the highest levels of these fields is going to remain relatively small, I predict."

I love "predictions" that are made with absolutely no evidence cited!